Brockville in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Johnstown District Court House and Gaol
In 1808 the provincial government authorized the erection of a court house and gaol in Elizabethtown (Brockville) to serve the District of Johnstown created ten years earlier. By 1811 a brick structure had been built here on land donated by William Buell, the founder of Brockville. It was replaced in 1824 by a larger building which remained the judicial and administrative centre of the region until the present court house was completed in 1843. Prominently situated at the head of the public green, this imposing Neo-classical structure was designed by the noted Toronto architect John George Howard and constructed by Benjamin Chaffey, a local contractor. Subsequently enlarged and renovated, it retains the arrangement of prison and court facilites so effectively integrated in the original plan.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.
Location. 44° 35.426′ N, 75° 41.12′ W. Marker is in Brockville, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Court House Square just from John Ross Matheson Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brockville, Ontario K6V 4T3, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sally Grant (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Sir Isaac Brock. K.C.B. (within shouting distance of this marker); Ogle Robert Gowan, 1803-1876 (within shouting distance of this marker); Leeds-Grenville County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir William Buell Richards (within shouting distance of this marker); James Morris (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Brockville Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brockville Tunnel (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brockville.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.