Brockville in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
William Buell’s 1816 Map of Brockville
The war of 1812-15 has just been over for a short time. The area around the first Court House shows the wartime accommodations for soldiers, with barracks, cook house, and hospital still in place.
The waterfront shows the original shoreline characterized by “Oak Point” on the left, a natural landmark known by Indians and French voyageurs. Here, where we stand, is the small bay and beach where landings were common. This is the origin of the first name of the settlement, “Buell’s Bay.”
William Buell (1751-1832), a disbanded Ensign in the Loyalist regiment, the “King’s Rangers,” arrived here in 1785, and took up his Crown Grant of land. He took advantage of the situation and developed his land into a town site for the settlers who arrive in subsequent years.
From this location northward runs the present Apple Street, which was opened through the middle of Buell’s early apple orchard.
Plan of the
Erected 2000 by City of Brockville.
Location. 44° 35.192′ N, 75° 41.07′ W. Marker is in Brockville, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Home Street just from Ernie Fox Quay. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Home Street, Brockville, Ontario, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forsyth’s Raid 1813 (within shouting distance of this marker); William Buell, Sr. (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Blockhouse Island (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Brockville Tunnel (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Former Brockville Post Office (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Gen. Sir Isaac Brock. K.C.B. (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Ogle Robert Gowan, 1803-1876 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Brockville "Van" or Caboose (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brockville.
More about this marker. This marker is located near the boat ramp.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.