Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Eudora Baptist Church
Organized October 18, 1850 on two acres of land donated by Col. Eppy White, using the Greek word "Eudora" signifying "good gift" as its name, this church met in a log schoolhouse until the congregation's first structure was erected in 1851, its first pastor being J.B. Canada. Here, at what was then called White's Station, a larger building of wood-frame construction was completed in 1858. During the Civil War, the sanctuary was used as a Federal hospital. In 1866, the "Memphis Avalanche" newspaper held an ice cream supper to raise funds for the restoration of the church's interior. This wood-frame sanctuary remained in constant use until its demolition in 1964, with the present sanctuary being dedicated on July 21, 1968.
Erected by Shelby County Historical Commission and Eudora Baptist Church.
Location. 35° 6.97′ N, 89° 54.386′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Poplar Avenue (U.S. 72) and South Perkins Road, on the left when traveling east on Poplar Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4676 Poplar Avenue, Memphis TN 38117, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William G. Leftwich, Jr. Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Mary's Episcopal School (approx. one mile away); St. Agnes Academy (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mullins United Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Second Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gen. James M. Kennedy Hospital (approx. 1½ miles away); Tragic Accident Sparks Sanitation Strike This flagpole is dedicated to the men and women of the United States military services (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on May 22, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.