Richmond Hill in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
“Dead Town” of Hardwicke
In 1758, Hardwicke was included in the newly created Parish of St. Philip. In 1793,Bryan County was created, with Hardwick as County Site. In 1797, the County Site was removed to "Cross Roads" (Richmond Hill). By 1824, Alexander Netherclift was the sole resident. In 1866, an attempt was made to revive HARDWICK, but it failed; and so the town which might have become one of its capitals became, instead, one of the "dead towns" of Georgia.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 56.975′ N, 81° 18.729′ W. Marker is in Richmond Hill, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is at the intersection of Ford Avenue (State Highway 144) and Coastal Highway (U.S. 17), on the right when traveling east on Ford Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond Hill GA 31324, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort McAllister (here, next to this marker); Courthouse Annex (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ways Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jack Fleming Gregory, Senior (approx. half a mile away); J. F. Gregory (approx. half a mile away); Robert E. Lee (approx. half a mile away); Henry Ford at Richmond Hill (approx. half a mile away); Community House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond Hill.
Also see . . . Earl of Hardwicke. A title in the Peerage of Great Britain. It was created in 1754 for Philip Yorke, 1st Baron Hardwicke, Lord Chancellor of Great Britain from 1737 to 1756. (Submitted on June 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,590 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 17, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.