Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stevensburg in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Opening of the Wilderness Campaign

 
 
Opening of the Wilderness Campaign Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 5, 2008
1. Opening of the Wilderness Campaign Marker
Inscription. Near here the Second Corps of Grant's Army camped in the winter of 1863-64. To this point came Sheridan's cavalry, the Sixth Corps from Brandy Station, and the Fifth Corps from Culpeper. The Union Army moved hence to Germanna and Ely's Fords on the Rapidan River, May 4, 1864, to open the Wilderness Campaign.
 
Erected 1930 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number J 33.)
 
Location. 38° 26.473′ N, 77° 53.769′ W. Marker is in Stevensburg, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of Germanna Highway (State Highway 3) and Batna Road (County Route 663), on the right when traveling west on Germanna Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stevensburg VA 22741, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salubria (approx. half a mile away); Norman's Mills Ford (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Hold at Mountain Run (approx. one mile away); Hansborough Ridge (approx. one mile away); Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 1.3 miles away); Signal Stations (approx. 2.7 miles away); Eckington School (approx. 3 miles away); Opening of the Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
Opening of the Wilderness Campaign Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 5, 2008
2. Opening of the Wilderness Campaign Marker
 Wilderness an Spotsylvania Campaigns. National Park Service summary of the campaigns, which correspond to the start of the Overland Campaign of 1864. (Submitted on January 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Clark Mountain image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, January 12, 2008
3. Clark Mountain
Seen from just south of the marker's location, this view illustrates the importance of the Confederate observation and signal station on Clark Mountain. Standing on the mountain on May 4, 1864, General Robert E. Lee observed the Federal columns crossing the Rapidan at Germanna Ford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,138 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on May 26, 2015, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on January 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement