Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coteau-du-Lac in Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

North blockhouse / Le blockhaus nord

Temporary officers’ quarters - North storehouse / Le logement temporaire des officiers - L’entrepôt

 
 
North blockhouse / Le blockhaus nord Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 6, 2014
1. North blockhouse / Le blockhaus nord Marker
Inscription. English:
These masonry features are the remains of the north blockhouse built by the British army during the American Revolution (1775-1783). Erected to protect the canal, this building was also used as a barracks and as a storehouse for food and munitions. It was destroyed sometime after 1779, then rebuilt during the War of 1812. The new blockhouse had the same trapezoidal shape as the old one but was oriented in a different direction. Plans from the 1850s no longer show a blockhouse in this position.

Temporary officers’ quarters - North storehouse
These masonry features are the remains of the north storehouse built by the British army during the American Revolution (1775-1783). Goods in transit to Upper Canada were stored in this building. It was erected adjacent to the canal to facilitate the loading of vessels. During the War of 1812, it was used as the engineers’ store and a temporary officiers’ quarters. During the 1830s, it was replaced with a smaller building that was used as the commissariat store. The storehouse was sold in 1872.

French:
Ces vestiges de maçonnerie sont les restes du blockhaus nord construit par l’armée britannique au cours de la Révolution américaine (1775-1783). Érigé dans le but de protéger le canal, ce bâtiment servit également de logement pour
North blockhouse / Le blockhaus nord Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 6, 2014
2. North blockhouse / Le blockhaus nord Marker
les militaires et d’entrepôt pour les vivres et les munitions, Il fut détruit en 1779 puis reconstruit durant la guerre de 1812. Le dernier ouvrage conserva le même forme trapézoïdale que le premier mais fut orienté différemment. Il disparut au cours des années 1850.

Le logement temporaire des officiers - L’entrepôt nord
Ces vestiges de maçonnerie sont les restes du blockhaus nord construit par l’armée britannique au cours de la Révolution américaine (1775-1783). Les marchandises en transit vers le Haut-Canada y étaient entreposées. Le bâtiment était érigé en bordure du canal pour faciliter le chargement des bateaux. Lors de la guerre de 1812, il servit de dépôt pour le matériel de génie et de logement temporaire pour les officiers. Durant les années 1830, une construction plus petite lui succéda, que fut utilisée comme entrepôt pour l’intendance. L’entrepôt fut vendu en 1872.
 
Erected by Parks Canada / Parcs Canada.
 
Location. 45° 17.261′ N, 74° 10.57′ W. Marker is in Coteau-du-Lac, Quebec, in Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM. Marker can be reached from Chemin du Fleuve just from Rue du Fort, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 Chemin du Fleuve, Coteau-du-Lac, Quebec J0P 1B0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Coteau-du-lac rapids image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 6, 2014
3. Coteau-du-lac rapids
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. What is a lock canal? (a few steps from this marker); Adapting the canal to new needs (a few steps from this marker); Destination: Great Lakes / Destination: Les Grands Lacs (a few steps from this marker); A canal that must be preserved (a few steps from this marker); A supply centre / Un poste de ravitaillement (within shouting distance of this marker); A canal excavated in the rock (within shouting distance of this marker); A very busy canal (within shouting distance of this marker); The construction of the canal (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coteau-du-Lac.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located at Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar of 1812Waterways & Vessels
 
Original Blockhouse foundation image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 6, 2014
4. Original Blockhouse foundation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 27, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement