Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mountain Brook in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927)

 
 
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker image. Click for full size.
By TRCP Alliance, July 5, 2011
1. Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker
Inscription.
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974)
The Father of Mountain Brook

A man of great vision, dreams and enthusiasm, Robert Jemison, Jr. was by far the greatest real estate developer of Birmingham’s 20th century. The Post-Herald newspaper dubbed him “Mr. Birmingham.”
Jemison said abut Mountain Brook Estates “…landscape architects and engineers have adroitly blended the convenience of city life into this picturesque environment without disturbing nature’s craftsmanship.”
He built Mountain Brook Club, Mountain Brook Village, The Old Mill, Mountain Brook Grammar School, Mountain Brook Riding Academy and also Fairfield, Bush Hills, Ensley Highlands, Forest Park and Glen Iris.
He built the original Tutwiler Hotel, Ridgely Apartments, Empire Building, Jemison - Seibels Building, Stallings Building, Newberry Building, Porter Clothing Co. Building, Elmwood Cemetery and Redmont Gardens Apartments.
He handled the site acquisition for Country Club of Birmingham, City (Boutwell) Auditorium, Jefferson County Courthouse and Ramsay High School.

The Old Mill (1927)

On this site John Perryman operated a grist mill, from 1867 until 1887, which ground corn grown by local farmers.
The present structure, while not a working mill, was built in 1927 by Robert
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker image. Click for full size.
By TRCP Alliance, July 5, 2011
2. Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker
Jemison, Jr. as an attraction of his new development, Mountain Brook Estates. The picturesque building was designed by William H. Kessler. The contractor was Lewis Ford employing Tom Cox and George Eastis.
The Old Mill, under the management of Miss Frances Bomer, served breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. Meals ranged from 50 cents to $1.75. Local residents found it to be a delightful rest stop while on horseback rides.
Perryman’s old original millstone was unearthed and used in the current building's stone fireplace.
After the tearoom operation closed The Old Mill has been used as a private dwelling and for over 50 years was the home of William B. O’Neal. The Mill image is the official logo for the City of Mountain Brook.
 
Erected 2010 by Jefferson County Historical Association City of Mountain Brook and Friends of Jemison Park.
 
Location. 33° 28.896′ N, 86° 45.53′ W. Marker is in Mountain Brook, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Mountain Brook Parkway east of Old Mill Lane, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Canterbury United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); America's First Office Park
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker (East) image. Click for full size.
By TRCP Alliance, July 5, 2011
3. Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker (East)
(approx. 0.7 miles away); The Early Mountain Brook Village Area (approx. 0.8 miles away); Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lane Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); a different marker also named Union Hill Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mountain Brook (approx. 1.4 miles away); Shades Valley High School (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mountain Brook.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker (West) image. Click for full size.
By TRCP Alliance, July 5, 2011
4. Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) Marker (West)
The Old Mill image. Click for full size.
By TRCP Alliance, July 5, 2011
5. The Old Mill
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 945 times since then and 64 times this year. Last updated on May 31, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 8, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement