Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Normal Depot

 
 
Normal Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, June 4, 2015
1. Normal Depot Marker
Inscription. Southern Railway's Normal Depot was completed in time for the dedication of the West Tennessee Normal School on September 10, 1912. A brick Craftsman-style building with a tiled hip roof, it was a commuter station with separate white and "colored" waiting rooms. Baggage of arriving Normal School students was hauled to their dormitories via mule-drawn wagon. During World War II, trainloads of wounded personnel arrived at Normal Depot for transport to the nearby Kennedy Army Hospital. The Depot was decommissioned in December 1949, purchased by Memphis State College for $200 and dismantled.
 
Erected 2011 by The University of Memphis and the Shelby County Historical Comission.
 
Location. 35° 6.981′ N, 89° 56.302′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Walker Ave., on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3720 Walker Ave, Memphis TN 38152, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. Millard "Jack" Smith (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tom (about 500 feet away); This flagpole is dedicated to the men and women of the United States military services
Normal Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, June 4, 2015
2. Normal Depot Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Memphis State Eight (approx. 0.2 miles away); Normal Station Neighborhood (approx. 0.2 miles away); The University of Memphis (approx. half a mile away); Second Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gen. James M. Kennedy Hospital (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
 
Also see . . .  Blueprints of the original Normal Station. From the site: Historic Memphis West Tennessee State Normal College ... and then there was West Tennessee State Teacher's College, Memphis State College, Memphis State University, and University of Memphis http://historic-memphis.com/memphis-historic/normal-school/normal-school.html (Submitted on June 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.) 
 
Additional comments.
1.
The site of the Normal Depot is now on the campus of the University of Memphis. The Kennedy Veterans hospital referred to on the Historic Marker was on what is now the south campus of the University of Memphis.

In 1943, the US Army opened a 3,000 bed veteran's hospital in Memphis
Normal Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, June 4, 2015
3. Normal Depot Marker
University of Memphis in the background
at the corner of Park Avenue and Shotwell Road. The new Kennedy Hospital's address would be on Shotwell, prompting Mrs. M.E. Brown of Marvell Arkansas to write to the Memphis Press-Scimitar claiming the name of the street would not be appropriate for wounded soldiers returning home.

County officials, despite facing some opposition from local residents, decided to change the name of the road to Getwell to help improve the morale of the hospital's patients. The former site of Kennedy Hospital is now occupied by the University of Memphis, student housing, sports complexes, and WKNO.

Memphis Moments is co-produced by the Pink Palace Family of Museums (http://www.memphismuseums.org) and WKNO-FM, and airs on Tuesdays and Thursdays during All Things Considered on the WKNO Stations.

Used with the permission of the Memphis Pink Palace Museum Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted June 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.

 
Categories. Civil RightsRailroads & StreetcarsWar, World II
 
Normal Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Masler, June 4, 2015
4. Normal Depot Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 4, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement