Dublin in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The cemetery contains a number of 19th-century graves. It was the primary burial ground for residents of the Purves Community, which grew up around a blacksmith shop owned by James Purves. Friendship Baptist Church, located near the cemetery, served the community from 1884 until it disbanded in 1915. The building was torn down in 1922 and the material was used to build a tabernacle at Pecan Cemetery. Funerals were held in the tabernacle, and on annual special days families gathered there for refreshment while working in the cemetery.
The Pecan Cemetery Endowment Corporation was formed in 1961 to provide perpetual care for the graveyard.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3968.)
Location. 31° 59.838′ N, 98° 14.811′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dublin TX 76446, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pecan Cemetery Tabernacle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dr Pepper Texas (approx. 8.2 miles away); Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Company (approx. 8.2 miles away); Dublin National Bank (approx. 8.3 miles away); William T. Miller Grist Mill (approx. 8.3 miles away); Hamilton County, C.S.A. (approx. 14.8 miles away).
More about this marker. The post that supports the marker is anchored in a Texas-shaped pad.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.