Near Round Top in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Winedale Stagecoach Inn
Purchased in 1848 by Samuel K. Lewis; enlarged to present form.
Became known as "Sam Lewis' Stopping Place" for many years. Restored by Miss Ima Hogg, 1964.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5863.)
Location. 30° 5.191′ N, 96° 38.477′ W. Marker is near Round Top, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 2714 half a mile south of Muske-Ullrich Road (County Route 1), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Round Top TX 78954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nassau Plantation (approx. 1.3 miles away); Samuel Knight Lewis (approx. 2.2 miles away); Round Top Community (approx. 3.6 miles away); Early Texas Hotels and Inns (approx. 3.6 miles away); Wandke House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Town of Shelby Greenvine Gas Discovery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Henniger Family Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Top.
Also see . . .
1. Windale, Texas article in Handbook of Texas. Discusses "Sam Lewis' Stopping Place." (Submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Winedale Historical Center in Handbook of Texas. Describes historical area where the Stagecoach Inn is located. (Submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.