Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas
Each member of the Girl's Tomato Clubs was to produce a tomato crop on one-tenth of an acre of land and then was taught proper canning procedures. The girls exhibited their products at Milano, Rockdale, the 1913 State Fair in Dallas, and the Waco Cotton Palace. So successful were these exhibits that several of the girls started college education funds with the money they raised selling their goods.
As the state's first rural girl's organization of its kind, the Tomato Clubs were forerunners of later programs, including 4-H, that were initiated under the supervision of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. Over time, 4-H has expanded its scope but has maintained the principle objectives of its predecessors.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. 30° 50.965′ N, 96° 58.55′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of South Fannin Ave and East Main Street, on the left when traveling south on South Fannin Ave. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East Main Street, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milam County Jail of 1895 (a few steps from this marker); Steamboat Washington Landed Here (approx. 2.1 miles away); La Recluta and La Escuelita (approx. 12½ miles away); Site of the Mission San Ildefonso (approx. 12.9 miles away); Matinee Musical Club (approx. 13.3 miles away); The Kay Theater (approx. 13.4 miles away); Railroads in Rockdale (approx. 13.6 miles away); International & Great Northern Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. 13.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
Also see . . . Edna Westbrook Trigg article in Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.