Near Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
First Park Headquarters
In 1936 Congress created the Richmond National Battlefield Park which included all the lands acquired by the Battlefield Parks Corporation. This log structure became the visitor center and headquarters for this new national park. It remained in use until 1959.
It is now used only for special occasions.
Location. 37° 25.674′ N, 77° 22.359′ W. Marker is near Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Battlefield Park Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in the Fort Harrison Unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Park Headquarters (here, next to this marker); Freedom Fighters (a few steps from this marker); Fort Harrison Trail Confederate Counterattack (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Harrison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Unique Photograph (about 300 feet away); Counterattack (about 400 feet away); Surprise Attack (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named "First Park Headquarters" (see nearby markers).
Also see . . . Battlefield Tour - Ft Gilmer to Ft Brady. Richmond National Battlefield Park website. (Submitted on August 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on July 2, 2015, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.