1904 - 1941
—Architect: Thomas Bast • Contractor: T. H. Johnson —
The earliest cattle barn, the Shorthorn Barn, was built in 1904 to replace barns destroyed by fire. The barn has round arched entrances accented by pilasters enclosing a decorative brick parapet.
The 1905 Hereford Barn uses pilasters that extend above the roof line.
Another barn, the Guernsey Barn, was built in 1905. This 60' by 160' barn has round arched entrances highlighted by pilasters joined by a corbelled flat arch. Palladian windows decorated with hood molds accent the gables and the side facades.
The Donnell Building, or "Junior Activities Barn," was designed by Arthur Schwarz and built in 1941 for livestock shown by FFA and 4-H members.
Erected by Missouri State Fair Commission.
Location. 38° 41.739′ N, 93° 15.535′ W. Marker is in Sedalia, Missouri, in Pettis County. Touch for map. Marker and building are on the Missouri State Fairgrounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2503 West 16th Street, Sedalia MO 65301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coliseum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Cattle Barns (about 400 feet away); Womans Building
Also see . . .
1. Missouri State Fairgrounds National Register Historic District Registration Form. (Submitted on July 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Missouri State Fair History Summary. (Submitted on July 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.