Brusly in West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery
West Baton Rouge conveyance records reveal that on June 28, 1833, Jean Baptiste Hebert donated land for use as a cemetery for the congregation of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church. With Hebertís permission, the tract had already been used as a cemetery. Around 1860, the encroaching river took the original tract. At the churchís expense, Hebertís remains were moved to the present cemetery. The present cemetery and church are on property acquired from Ambroise Blanchard in 1838.
Erected 2010 by West Baton Rouge Historical Association.
Location. 30° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 S Kirkland Dr (River Road), Brusly LA 70719, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Molaisonville / St. James Square (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brusly, Louisiana (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Brusly Town Hall Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Open Sugar Kettles (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charles P. Adams (approx. 0.4 miles away); Herbert Osborn Dickerson (approx. half a mile away); Original Brusly High School (approx. half a mile away); Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brusly.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2015. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 6, 2015. 2. submitted on August 30, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.