Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Bottle

 
 
"The Bottle" Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2015
1. "The Bottle" Marker
Inscription. Built in 1924 and billed as the "the world's largest bottle", The Bottle (also know as the "Twist Inn") was built by John F. Williams, owner of the Nehi Bottling Company in Opelika, Alabama. A wooden replica of a bright orange Nehi soda bottle, it stood 64 feet tall and measured 49 feet in diameter at the base and 16 feet at the cap. The ground floor was a grocery store and service station and the second and third floors were living quarters and storage. The neck of The Bottle had windows for use as an observation tower. The "bottle cap" was the roof. Inside, there was a spiral oak stairway. The Bottle became a gathering place for tourists and locals alike to swap yarns and have parties every Friday night on the balcony above the service station. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt stopped briefly at The Bottle after visiting Auburn. The Bottle burned one morning in the fall of 1936. Even though the structure no longer exists the name survives on Alabama maps which still identify the area as "The Bottle."
 
Erected 2015 by the Auburn Heritage Association, Hayley-Redd Development and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
 
Location. 32° 40.575′ N, 85° 29.196′ W. Marker is near Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker
Marker at former 'Bottle' location. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2015
2. Marker at former 'Bottle' location.
is at the intersection of Birmingham Highway (U.S. 280) and North College Street (State Route 147), on the right when traveling south on Birmingham Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7355 US-280, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Noble Hall (approx. 2.9 miles away); General James Henry Lane House (approx. 3.9 miles away); J. F. Drake High School / Alma Mater (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Crescent (approx. 4.6 miles away); City Hall (approx. 4.7 miles away); Toomers Corner And The Bank Of Auburn (approx. 4.8 miles away); Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
 
Also see . . .
1. Opelika-Auburn News article on "The Bottle". (Submitted on June 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Wikipedia article on "The Bottle". (Submitted on June 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Places
 
"The Bottle" image. Click for full size.
By Pre-1978 Public Domain, 1924
3. "The Bottle"
This work is irrevocably in the public domain in the United States because it was first published in the United States without copyright notice prior to 1978.
Wide shot of marker looking north on U.S. 280. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2015
4. Wide shot of marker looking north on U.S. 280.
Marker at intersection of Birmingham Highway and North College Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 26, 2015
5. Marker at intersection of Birmingham Highway and North College Street.
Google map indicating area is known as "The Bottle". image. Click for full size.
By Google Map
6. Google map indicating area is known as "The Bottle".
Area noted as "The Bottle" despite the store burning down in 1936!
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on July 8, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 26, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement