Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Key West in Monroe County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Samuel O. Johnson House

 
 
Samuel O. Johnson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Marsha A. Matson, May 28, 2015
1. Samuel O. Johnson House Marker
Inscription. Constructed in 1886 by Samuel Otis Johnson. The structure started out as a grocery and butcher shop as well as a residence. It was purchased in 1913 by Dr. William Richard Warren. Doctor Warren's medical offices consisted of the front porch used as a waiting room and the first floor rooms for exams and minor surgeries. An unusual three story fresh water cistern is original to the structure. The property is home to one of the island's first ornamental gardens.
-Circa 1886-

 
Erected by Sponsor: Old Town Manor. (Marker Number 68.)
 
Location. 24° 33.434′ N, 81° 48.194′ W. Marker is in Key West, Florida, in Monroe County. Marker is on Eaton Street west of Bahama Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 511 Eaton Street, Key West FL 33040, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Paul's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oldest Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Key West Woman's Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles
Samuel O. Johnson House image. Click for full size.
By Marsha A. Matson, May 28, 2015
2. Samuel O. Johnson House
away); Audubon House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Naval Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Little White House (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named The Little White House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Key West.
 
Also see . . .  The Pelican Path Self-Guided Tour of Key West. 15. WARREN HOUSE/ Old Town Manor, 511 Eaton St. This classical revival home was built in 1886 by Sam Otis Johnson; he had a general store to the right of the house, which was moved to the rear of the property in the early 1900s for garage use. By then this property had became the home and office of Dr. Richard William Warren and remained in the family until his widow’s death in the early 1970s. The tallest cistern in the Keys, 3-stories for gravity fed rainwater into the home, survives at the rear of the property. (Submitted on July 13, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceScience & MedicineSettlements & Settlers
 
Samuel O. Johnson House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Marsha A. Matson, May 28, 2015
3. Samuel O. Johnson House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement