Darrow in Ascension Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Erected 1974 by Louisiana Tourist Development Commission.
Location. 30° 6.922′ N, 90° 54.669′ W. Marker is in Darrow, Louisiana, in Ascension Parish. Marker is on River Road (State Highway 44) 1.2 miles north of Sunshine Bridge (State Highway 70), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darrow LA 70725, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary's Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); Houmas House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bocage Plantation (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ascension Catholic Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Francis T. Nicholls (approx. 4.7 miles away); War Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.7 miles away); Donaldsonville (approx. 4.8 miles away); Bayou Lafourche (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darrow.
Regarding Tezcuco Plantation. Tezcuco Plantation burned to the ground in May of 2002. All that remains on site is the marker, fence
1. Additional history of the Tezcuco Plantation
"Maurice Bringier’s grandson Benjamin built Tezcuco in 1855, after marrying his cousin Aglae, daughter of Michel Doradou Bringier, who lived at nearby Hermitage Plantation. The house was named after a village on Lake Tezcuco, Montezuma’s refuge, or resting place, in his flight from Cortez. The bed of the lake, Texcoco (the Spanish spelling of the Aztec name), became the site of Mexico City" from Romantic New Orleans, by Deirdre Stanforth, 1979, Pelican Publishing. This excerpt is interesting as it indicates that the name of the plantation came from the Mexican town of Texcoco. The papers of Benjamin Turead at Louisiana State University also include information about the "Phoenix Company" of Louisiana in the Mexican-American War of 1846-1848. This unit fought in the Battle of Monterrey and then was reformed (thus the name "Phoenix") and continued in service until the end of the war. It is likely that Benjamin Turead was in this unit and potentially served in Texcoco, thus naming his future plantation house after the town a few years later (1855) when he returned to the United States.
As a side note, the above quote is somewhat incorrect, as the name of the town Texcoco
— Submitted September 13, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2015. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2015. 3. submitted on September 11, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.