Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Athens in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Round Island Baptist Church

 
 
Round Island Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 18, 2015
1. Round Island Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.
Side A
A church older than the county and state. First meeting house built in the fall of 1816, on Indian land, a few miles south of here along Round Island Creek. The first Govt. Land sales were in Feb. 1818 after treaties with the Chickasaws in 1816 and Cherokees in 1817. Thos. O'Banion was interim minister until the church formally organized on June 17, 1817 when Jeremiah Tucker was elected it's pastor. Families making up the 12 charter members were: Tucker, Lambert, Morgan, Ables, McWilliams, Stamps, and Barclay.

The church relocated to the present site about 1823, after John Favor, a Rev. War veteran and member of the congregation, donated the land.

The original building, which faced the cemetery, remained unchanged until 1920, when the first of two additions was built, giving the church the shape of a cross.
(Continued on other side)
Side B
(Continued from other side)
The original buildings were torn down in 1974, and several building projects, including the sanctuary completed in 2002, brought the church to its present form. Many Baptist churches in the area were formed as missions of Round Island, the "Springboard" of the Baptist faith in Limestone County.

With no pastor during the Civil War, the congregation scattered, but was
Round Island Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 18, 2015
2. Round Island Baptist Church Marker
reunited afterward. One Aug. 28, 1870, Pisgah Baptist and Round Island merged as one body called "Round Island Baptist Church."

Over the opposition of some members, the first church organ was purchased in 1910 from Sears Roebuck & Co. for $39.65. During a lengthy meeting in 1913, there were 76 conversions, 49 of whom joined the church, which thrives today with a large and active congregation.
 
Erected 2005 by Round Island Baptist Church and Limestone County Historical Society.
 
Location. 34° 44.809′ N, 87° 2.496′ W. Marker is near Athens, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on Brownsferry Road (County Route 29) 0.2 miles west of Huntsville Brownsferry Road/Ripley Road (County Route 24), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14790 Brownsferry Road, Athens AL 35611, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Henderson / Trinity School - 1865-1970 (approx. 5 miles away); Coleman Family (approx. 5.1 miles away); Pleasant Hill (approx. 5.4 miles away); Governor George S. Houston Home (approx. 5½ miles away); Athens Sacked and Plundered
Round Island Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 18, 2015
3. Round Island Baptist Church Marker
seen looking southwest along Brownsferry Road
(approx. 5½ miles away); Athens First Presbyterian Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence (approx. 5½ miles away); Athens, Alabama (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
 
Also see . . .  Round Island Baptist Church. (Submitted on May 2, 2015, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Round Island Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 18, 2015
4. Round Island Baptist Church Marker
northeast along Brownsferry Road
Round Island Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 18, 2015
5. Round Island Baptist Church
history plaque on the front porch of the sanctuary building.
Round Island Baptist Church cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 18, 2015
6. Round Island Baptist Church cemetery
a portion of the cemetery located behind the church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2015, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 57 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 2, 2015, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement