Elkmont in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Elkmont, Alabama / Tenn. & Ala. Central Railroad
The earliest settlers to this area moved across the Chickasaw boundary before 1810 and established the Sims and New Garden settlements. The area came to be known as Elkmont, for the once abundant elk, the Elk River and the "mount" on which it sat. It began to flourish with the completion of the Tennessee and Alabama Central Railroad in 1859. The name of the Fort Hampton post office, established in 1859, was changed to Elkmont in 1866. Elkmont grew to be a commerce center for North Limestone County and was incorporated on March 28, 1873. The first high school in Limestone County was established here in 1912. Today, Elkmont's converted railroad bed welcomes visitors to connect with the past as it passes through a Civil War battle site to the south and a covered bridge to the north.
The Tennessee and Alabama Central Railroad reached Elkmont in the fall of 1859. By 1862, the Union army controlled North Alabama and the railroad, an important supply line from Nashville to Chattanooga and Atlanta. 1.1 miles south of this spot is the site of one of the bloodiest land battles in Alabama at Sulphur Creek Trestle, part of the Sept. 1864 raids of C.S.A. General N.B. Forrest. The rail line became the Nashville & Decatur Railroad in 1866. The Louisville & Nashville Railroad had control by 1871, and
Erected 2005 by Elkmont Town Council & Limestone County Historical Society.
Location. 34° 55.75′ N, 86° 58.383′ W. Marker is in Elkmont, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on County Road 49 east of Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in a small median/park at the intersection of Co Rd 49 and the Richard Martin Trail (the former railroad bed). Marker is in this post office area: Elkmont AL 35620, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church (a few steps from this marker); Downtown Scenes (within shouting distance of this marker); Commerce (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle (approx. 1½ miles away); Old New Garden Cemetery / New Garden Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sims Settlement Hernando De Soto in Alabama (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Saturn Legacy (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkmont.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,828 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on March 11, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.