Columbus in Lowndes County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1957 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 33° 29.229′ N, 88° 25.448′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Mississippi, in Lowndes County. Marker is on 9th Avenue South. Touch for map. Between 7th & 8th Street South on 9th Avenue South. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus MS 39701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Demonstration School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Church of the Annunciation (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Decoration Day (approx. half a mile away); Columbus Mississippi Blues (approx. half a mile away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Mississippi State College for Women (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Friendship Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Regarding C.S.A. Arsenal. During the American Civil War, Columbus was a hospital town. However, Columbus also had an arsenal that made gunpowder, hand guns and a few cannons.
Documents indicate that in late 1865 the Freedmen's Bureau opened an education center for freed slaves at what was known as the Wayside Hospital building. The warehouse-type structure on the south side had been used as a hospital during the Civil War. The Freedman's Bureau school, which precedes the establishment of Union Academy, was probably at the south side site as well. Union Academy was established in 1877 as a partner school to Franklin Academy.
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2008, by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 1,610 times since then and 24 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 26, 2008, by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photograph of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?