Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard

 
 
Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 10, 2015
1. Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard Marker
Inscription. In 1897, rancher and county official Francis M. Tallant opened Odessa's first livery stable and wagon yard on West 2nd Street, approximately 80 feet southwest of this site. Built close to the railroad station and to downtown, the stable was used by cattlemen who could leave their horses, saddles and guns there while staying in town. In 1906, Tallant sold the property to Charles A. Beardsley, who continued operating the livery and feed stable. The automobile soon changed the local way of life, and in 1915, Joe W. Rice bought the building and converted it to the J.W. Rice and Co. Garage,which operated for many years. The sandstone structure was demolished in the early 1980s.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4853.)
 
Location. 31° 50.769′ N, 102° 22.109′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker is on North Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 North Grant Avenue, Odessa TX 79761, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Odessa Land & Townsite Company (here, next to this marker); The Odessa Telephone Exchange (here, next to this marker);
Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard Marker (on right) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 10, 2015
2. Site of Livery Stable and Wagon Yard Marker (on right)
The Odessa Telephone Exchange Marker (on left) and Odessa Land & Townsite Company Marker (in center)
Site of The Odessa Sanitarium (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of The Dawson Saloon (about 300 feet away); General Matthew D. Ector (about 300 feet away); Ector County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Ector County Land Rush (about 400 feet away); The Waddell Pecan Tree (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
 
Categories. AnimalsRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 17, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement