Reims in Marne Département, Champagne-Ardenne, France
Palais de Justice
With its classical inspired architecture, the Courthouse was built in 1835 on the site of the former Hôtel-Dieu, an instition which once cared for the town's sick and destitute.
The courthouse was built in 1835 on the site of the former Hotel-Dieu, an institution for the sick and needy. The building has all the typical decorations of the time: columns, pediments ... all in the spirit of Nineteenth-Century judicial construction. Until 1906, the prison and the police occupied the rear of the building. The courthouse was largely destroyed during World War I. Today it houses the High Court, the Magistrates Court and the Commercial Court.
Erected by la ville de Reims. (Marker Number 2.)
Location. Touch for map. In front of the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Reims. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Place Myron Herrick, Reims, Champagne-Ardenne 51100, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quartier des Banques (within shouting distance of this marker); Edmond Marin la Meslée (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Musée des Beaux-Arts (about 120 meters away); Porte et Place du Chapitre de la Cathédral (about 120 meters away); Maison du Trésorier du Chapitre de la Cathédral (about 120 meters away); Cathédral Notre-Dame (about 150 meters away); Médiathèque Jean Falala (about 150 meters away); Cavalcade du sacre des rois de France (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Reims.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 18, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.