Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Originally built of adobe in 1879, this building was the second guardhouse built at the fort. Remodels during the hospital’s tenure added clapboard siding and a porch. This building became the hospital library. Further remodels enclosed the porch creating extra rooms necessary for an X-ray room and dentist office. During the infamous Lincoln County War of 1878-1879, numerous non-military prisoners were held in the guardhouse awaiting trial in Lincoln or some other legal location.
‘The guardhouse here is a “Bastille” crowded with civil prisoners. The Governor (Gov. Lew Wallace) is no doubt correct in doing his duty to abate lawlessness in Lincoln County.’
‘Unknown’ correspondent to the Mesilla Independent paper, 1879
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
Location. 33° 29.638′ N, 105° 31.576′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Parade Ground near State Road 220. Touch for map. Marker faces the parade ground
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Administration Building (a few steps from this marker); Hospital Administration (within shouting distance of this marker); Barracks / Dining Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); TB Tent Cottages (within shouting distance of this marker); New Hospital (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nurse's Quarters (about 300 feet away); Commissary Warehouse (about 400 feet away); Buildings 17 - 20 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains of historic Fort Stanton, New Mexico.
Regarding Guardhouse. Fritz and Murphy each served as the Post Commander of Fort Stanton at the close of the Civil War. After the war they were the post traders for Fort Stanton until 1873.
Also see . . . Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 22, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 260 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.