Big Piney in Sublette County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Of Cattle and Men
Route of the Lander Cut-oﬀ
In the early open range days, Big Piney ranches pastured cattle east of the Green River in winter and west of the Green River in summer. The devastating winter of 1889-1890 killed up to 90 percent of the stock, and from then on, ranchers grew hay to feed livestock in winter. Hay meadows were built by clearing sagebrush, running ditches and irrigating the land. The Big Piney Roundup Association formed in the early 1890s to self-manage grazing on the open range, and other associations followed. With the creation of the U.S. Forest Service in 1905, grazing fees were implemented for the first time on public lands. In 1934, the Taylor Grazing Act was passed to manage grazing on all federal lands through permits and fees.
Sublette County’s ranchers and grazing associations
For more information about Subllette County’s historic ranches and agriculture industry, visit Green River Valley Museum in Big Piney.
Erected by Sublette County Museum Board.
Location. 42° 35.106′ N, 110° 5.302′ W. Marker is in Big Piney, Wyoming, in Sublette County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 189 and Wyoming Highway 351, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 189. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10812 US Highway 189, Big Piney WY 83113, United States of America.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on July 20, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.