Near New Market in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Located in Section 18, Township 2, Range 2 East, this site was an early wayside stop for pioneer settlers as they traveled the road from Winchester, Tennessee into Madison County. The tavern predates the creation of the county, Dec. 13, 1808.
During the Creek Indian War (1813-1814), the Deposit Road was created at this point and stretched southeastward through Cherokee lands to Fort Deposit near Gunter's Landing. This became the supply route for General Andrew Jackson's forces. His deputy, Colonel John Coffee, stored supplies opposite the tavern and camped his troops (Nov. 22 - Dec. 8, 1813).
By tradition, the tavern took its name "Buckhorn" in 1858 when William L. Fanning killed a buck near the site and presented its antlers to the innkeeper. The antlers are now displayed at Buckhorn High School.
The original building was demolished in the early 1950s.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Buckhorn Tavern was the site of a skirmish on Oct. 12, 1863. Confederate General Philip D. Roddey's Alabama Cavalry Brigade was moving south from New Market when it intercepted Union General Robert Mitchell's Cavalry Brigade, advancing northeast from Huntsville. A brisk firefight broke out, the opposing forces so
Erected 1996 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 52′ N, 86° 27.317′ W. Marker is near New Market, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Winchester Road and Maysville Road, on the left when traveling south on Winchester Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Market AL 35761, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Bell Factory (approx. 3 miles away); New Market Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.3 miles away); Town of New Market (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Quick Airplane (approx. 4½ miles away); Shiloh United Methodist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Old Limestone Road Skirmish (approx. 6.9 miles away); Central High School/Central Junior High School (approx. 7 miles away); Flint River Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,160 times since then and 112 times this year. Last updated on July 20, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.