Asbury in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Old Bethel United Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery
Organized by 1847 as one of the first churches on Sand Mountain. First meeting house erected 1855; buildings at present site constructed about 1885 and 1927. Preachers included Samuel Tyler, Levi Isbell, Jacob K. Dowdy, James R. Isbell, James R. Jones, Charles L. Isbell, George D. Drain, Nick Hulgan, Zack Isbell and Mark Hyde. Five daughter churches constituted between 1862 and 1895, including nearby Concord in 1870. Cemetery begun 1876. Sarah (Birdwell) Isbell among first white settlers in Madison County, 1805. Ambrose Nall a sailor in Union blockade of the Confederacy. Elijah Isbell and John Bearden veterans of Union cavalry during Civil War.
Erected 1991 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 22.643′ N, 86° 6.611′ W. Marker is in Asbury, Alabama, in Marshall County. Marker is on Old Bethel Road 0.2 miles north of County Route 111, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albertville AL 35951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured Town of Geraldine: Home of the Bulldogs (approx. 6.1 miles away); Town of Crossville (approx. 9.2 miles away); Birthplace of Albertville (approx. 9.4 miles away); Claysville Junior High School (approx. 9.4 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 9.4 miles away); Pre-Civil War Cemetery (approx. 9.6 miles away); A Celebration of 150 Years (approx. 9.6 miles away); Seventh District Agricultural School (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on July 20, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.