Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlottesville, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The University “Corner”

A Student Rendezvous Since the Mid-1800s

 
 
The University “Corner” Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
1. The University “Corner” Marker
Inscription. In the early 1900s “The Corner,” so named by the University crowd, was but a sparse collection of businesses at the entrance to the University Grounds—literally just a corner. In the intervening years “The Corner” has grown into a bustling commercial district.

Many of “The Corner’s” early structures still stand along University Ave.—between 14th and Chancellor Streets—including the C&O railroad bridge (1901), also known as the “Bridge of Scores”; Chancellor’s Drugstore (1914), located at 1411-1415; the Corner Building (1814), at 1412; and the Anderson Brothers Bookstore building (1891), at 1415. Two of “The Corner’s” institutions are: The Virginian Restaurant (1923), at 1521, one of the oldest eateries in the city; and Mincer’s Pipe Shop (1923) which opened at its 1527 address in 1954.

Tree-lined Elliewood Ave. is the city’s liveliest dead-end street. Named in 1910 for Ellie Wood Page (1894–1986), whose mother ran a boarding house, Elliewood Ave. became a busy thoroughfare of restaurants and shops in the 1970s.
 
Location. 38° 2.067′ N, 78° 30.018′ W. Marker is in Charlottesville, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of University Avenue (Business
The University “Corner” and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
2. The University “Corner” and Marker
Marker is on the brick wall directly below the streetlamp. Building wedged between the two larger buildings is 1419½ University Boulevard.
U.S. 250) and Hospital Drive, on the right when traveling west on University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1419½ University Blvd., Charlottesville VA 22903, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charlottesville General Hospital (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Claude Moore, M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Georgia O’Keeffe (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barry and Bill Battle (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Holding Echols (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kappa Sigma Fraternity (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Jefferson Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fernando Símon Bolívar (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottesville.
 
Also see . . .  The Corner, Charlottesville, Virginia. “The Gus Burger [at the White Spot] was named after ‘Dr. Gus,’ who used to work across the street at the hospital long ago, and who habitually ordered up a cheeseburger with a fried egg on top. Another favorite was the ice box pie (Jell-o mix and milk on graham cracker pie crust put in the refrigerator to congeal—apparently a popular WWII-era concoction). And of course, the sausage gravy made by Nat Pritchett was a great soak-up-the-booze hangover antidote on Saturday and Sunday mornings.”—John Meyer ’84 (Submitted on June 30, 2008.) 
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
“The Corner” from the University Entrance on Hospital Street image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
3. “The Corner” from the University Entrance on Hospital Street
The Chancellor Building is on the right. The White Spot Restaurant is to the right of the stop sign. The Medical School building is behind the photographer.
Opposite The University “Corner” image. Click for full size.
J. J. Prats Postcard Collection
4. Opposite The University “Corner”
Circa 1948 postcard “Medical School and Hospital, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.” published by the City Newstore in Charlottesville.
Mincer’s Pipe Shop (1923) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 15, 2009
5. Mincer’s Pipe Shop (1923)
Anderson Brothers Bookstore building (1891) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 15, 2009
6. Anderson Brothers Bookstore building (1891)
C&O railroad bridge (1901) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 15, 2009
7. C&O railroad bridge (1901)
Chancellor’s Drugstore (1914) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish
8. Chancellor’s Drugstore (1914)
Elliewood Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, August 15, 2009
9. Elliewood Avenue
The Virginian Restaurant (1923) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish
10. The Virginian Restaurant (1923)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,304 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on July 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4. submitted on September 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 16, 2009, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement