Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Photo etchings caption:
Building 12, torn down in 1930, was actually attached to Building 13. When it was taken down, a chunk of the roof fell into a lady’s bedroom.
Originally built in 1855 of adobe, the building that occupied this location was used as the commissary warehouse. It consisted of two offices and a large storage room capable of storing all the food necessary to sustain a military fort. This building was eventually razed in 1933 as was the adjacent tubercular hospital in 1938.
‘The commissary’s storehouse is large enough to contain a supply of provisions for two years. The stores are in good condition and of good quality, except for the hams.’
Lt. Col. Joseph E. Johnston, September 21, 1859
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
Location. 33° 29.65′ N, 105° 31.648′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker can be reached from Parade Ground near State Road 220. Touch for map. This marker faces the parade ground and is only accessible by walking. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officer's Quarters (within shouting distance of this Nurse's Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Administration Building (about 300 feet away); L.G. Murphy Sutler Store (about 300 feet away); Guardhouse (about 400 feet away); CCC Camp/German Internment Camp (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Officer's Quarters (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains in the Fort Stanton, NM National Register Historic District.
Also see . . . Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 26, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 26, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.