Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Original Wall
—The Battle of Fredericksburg —
At the time of the battle, the stone wall stretched for more than 500 yards along the eastern (left) side of the road. After the Civil War, however, large sections were removed. Today just this one-block remnant of original wall remains. Please help the National Park Service preserve this original section of the stone wall by not touching or approaching it.
Erected by Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park - National Park Service - U.S. Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 38° 17.793′ N, 77° 28.115′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Sunken Road and Hanover Street, on the left when traveling north on Sunken Road. Touch for map. Located on the Sunken Road walking trail, which starts at the Fredericksburg battlefield visitor center. The Sunken Road is closed to vehicle traffic. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Brompton (a few steps from this marker); Fredericksburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); The Ebert House and Store (a few steps from this marker); Kirkland Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Sunken Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Angel of Marye's Heights (within shouting distance of this marker); Seeking Cover (within shouting distance of this marker); The Killing Fields (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photo of The Sunken Road with the Innis House in the background, about 1865-1866. On the upper right is a drawing of Confederate riflemen in the Sunken Road. By battle's end, the Confederates in the road stood four ranks deep.
Also see . . . Sunken Road Tour. Virtual tour of the Sunken Road. (Submitted on June 29, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,824 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on July 24, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.