Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Mobile City Hospital
Built in 1830 by Thomas S. James,
Mobile's third hospital has been preserved in its original design except for additions at each end, serving without interruption through disastrous fires, yellow fever epidemics, and war. For 83 years between 1861 and 1959 it was ad-ministered for the City by the Sisters of Charity.
Erected 1964 by the Historic Mobile Preservation Society.
Location. 30° 41.465′ N, 88° 3.323′ W. Marker is in Mobile, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker is at the intersection of St Anthony Street and North Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling west on St Anthony Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900-950 St Anthony Street, Mobile AL 36603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Marine Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); John L. LeFlore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph (Joe) N. Langan (about 300 feet away); Vivian Malone Jones (about 500 feet away); Caldwell School (about 800 feet away); The Convent of Mercy Protestant Children's Home (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobile.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article about old hospital. (Submitted on July 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.