Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James Harrison Parramore

(August 13, 1840 - July 4, 1917)

 
 
James Harrison Parramore Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 28, 2015
1. James Harrison Parramore Marker
Inscription. Born in Georgia to Rebecca (Norwood) and William W. Parramore, James Harrison Parramore moved with his family to Gonzales County in 1849. James attended Gonzales College before joining the Confederate army. He married Mary Jane Goodson in 1866; they began their life together farming 100 acres of land near Gonzales.
     Parramore formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, Hugh Lewis, that launched their careers as prominent Southwestern ranchers. After several years in Runnels County, Parramore bought ten acres west of Hickory Street in Abilene for his large family in 1881.
     The San Simon Cattle and Canal Company was organized in 1883 by Parramore, Lewis, and Claiborne W. Merchant. The company stocked its vast Arizona and New Mexico ranches with Texas Longhorns for twenty years.
     J.H. Parramore was active in local, state, and national organizations for cattlemen. A member of the Board of Trustees of Simmons College, he donated $10,000 for a dormitory named Mary-Frances Hall. The home that J.H. Parramore shared with his wife and ten children was located at 810 Orange Street in the area later developed by his heirs as the Parramore Addition. A Victorian mansion with French Second Empire details, the home was dismantled in 1960.
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission
James Harrison Parramore Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 28, 2015
2. James Harrison Parramore Marker
. (Marker Number 12223.)
 
Location. 32° 27.384′ N, 99° 44.319′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of Beech Street and N. 7th Street, on the left when traveling north on Beech Street. Touch for map. Marker is at northwest corner of intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 704 Beech St, Abilene TX 79601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ackers - McMillan House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laughter Undertaking Co. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Abilene's First School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hotel Wooten (approx. 0.4 miles away); Magee House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Weather Bureau Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Guitar Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bankhead Highway (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abilene.
 
Also see . . .  James Harrison Parramore. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on July 30, 2015.) 
 
Categories. AgricultureEducationSettlements & Settlers
 
View to North Along Beech Street image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 28, 2015
3. View to North Along Beech Street
Marker at northwest corner of intersection
of Beech St and N. 7th St
View to South Along Beech Street image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 28, 2015
4. View to South Along Beech Street
Marker is on right (west) side of street
View to West Across Beech Street image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, July 28, 2015
5. View to West Across Beech Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 30, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement