Hanover in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Forney Farms
Fighting Focused on Forney Lands
Shortly after, the pursuing Confederate cavalry plunged into the midst of the Pennsylvania's column. This clash set off a chain reaction that soon pushed the Union cavalry back through the town. Union counterattacks followed, driving the Rebels back through this same area to the high ground southwest of Hanover.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, Battle of Hanover Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 39° 47.746′ N, 76° 59.317′ W. Marker is in Hanover, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Frederick Street (Pennsylvania Route 194) and Forney Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Frederick Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hanover PA 17331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Winebrenner Tannery (within shouting distance of this marker); Mother Loses Two Sons to War J.E.B. Stuart's Jump (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Winebrenner House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Daniel Trone House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Confederates Invade Pennsylvania (approx. 0.2 miles away); Custer at Hanover (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hanover.
More about this marker. In the upper left is a map of the Hanover PA Battlefield June 30, 1863. Below the map is a photo of The Karl Forney residence, Frederick Street, central point around which the Battle of Hanover was waged, June 30, 1863. In the lower right is a Painting of Forney Farms.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,430 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.