Near Corbett in Multnomah County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
JEWEL on the Crown
Portland architect Edgar Lazarus designed Vista House to “recall the ancient and mystic Thor’s crown.” Braced against the famous Gorge winds, this small building embodies strength. The structure is faced with ashlar-cut sandstone; the interior walls are Alaska Tokeen Marble and Kasota Limestone.
Vista House was dedicated on May 5, 1918, to the memory of Oregon’s pioneers.
Ground-breaking for the Vista House coincided with dedication of the Historic Columbia River Highway on June 7, 1916. President Woodrow Wilson touched a button in the White House to unfurl the flag atop Crown Point. Cannons roared while rose petals fluttered and onlookers toasted the occasion with Oregon’s “temperance” beverage—loganberry juice.
Believing that each component of the highway should harmonize with the natural beauty of the Gorge, Samuel Lancaster faced some his greatest construction
Despite careful quarrying and manufacturing techniques, at least half the total output of marble is waste.
Erected by Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.
Location. 45° 32.319′ N, 122° 14.666′ W. Marker is near Corbett, Oregon, in Multnomah County. Marker is on Historic Columbia River Highway 2.8 miles from Corbett, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40700 Historic Columbia River Hwy, Corbett OR 97019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marshall N. Dana (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel C. Lancaster (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Broughton’s Expedition (approx. 1.5 miles away); Discover Wahkeena Falls (approx. 6.2 miles away); Sandy River Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); Welcome to Multnomah Falls (approx. 6.7 miles away); Simon Benson (approx. 6.7 miles away); Camas-Washougal War Memorial (approx. 8.4 miles away in Washington). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corbett.
Also see . . . Vista House - Historic Columbia River Highway. This page contains a number of historic photographs of Vista House. Excerpt: “The construction of the Vista House also began in 1916, to serve, in the words of the highway’s chief engineer Samuel Lancaster, as an ‘Isle of Safety to all the visitors who wish to look on that matchless scene.’ It was Lancaster who first suggested that it be called the Vista House. ... Edgar Lazarus designed Vista House as an example of modern German architecture, or the German equivalent of Art Nouveau.” (Submitted on August 3, 2015.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3. submitted on July 29, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 3, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.