No. 8 Colliery
The Companyís Showplace
The No. 8 first opened in 1845. During its peak in the first half of the 1900ís, the colliery grew to a workforce of near 3,000 men. The mine consisted of 8 horizontal levels, the lowest being more that 1,200 feet below the surface and more than 130 feet below sea level. Each level was accessed by a cage, or elevator, which hauled miners and coal cars up and down the vertical shaft. A total of 1,425 mine cars and 24 miles of rails and haulage tunnels were underground. Thirty five eclectic mine locomotives operated in the mine and 5 steam locomotives were used on the surface. In 1972, a towering 208 foot steel and concrete breaker was constructed to replace an earlier wooden breaker destroyed by fire. The breaker was the centerpiece of the colliery, where the coal was cleaned and prepared for market. It was capable of processing more than 7,800 tons of raw material daily, producing 90 railroad cars of anthracite coal for market. No. 8 Colliery closed in 1954 following the decline of the coal industry and the rise of other sources of energy.
Visitors came by the thousands
The No. 8 Colliery located here was the
Remnants of a Bygone Era
In the distance can be seen the original No. 8 Mine entrance, brick wash shanty buildings, dynamite bunker and mounds of coal waste. In front of them stand the towering coal breaker which has since been demolished. Here in the Coaldale Minerís Memorial Park is the brick bus shelter once used by miners, large chunks of anthracite coal, unique rock formations, and a historic marker to famed labor leader, “Mother Jones”.
(Inscription above the image at the bottom)
See where the new Coaldale coal comes from: 1,227 feet below the surface.
Location. 40° 49.637′ N, 75° 54.221′ W. Marker is in Coaldale, Pennsylvania, in Schuylkill County. Marker is on East Water Street (US 209). Touch for map. The marker is located
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (within shouting distance of this marker); Philip Ginder (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Soldiers Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); Philip Ginter (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Presbyterian Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Jno. F. McGinty Brewery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Little Schuylkill Railroad (approx. 4 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Labor Unions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 299 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 7, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.