Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abbeville in Abbeville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Quay-Wardlaw House

 
 
Quay-Wardlaw House Marker<br>Front image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, April 29, 2015
1. Quay-Wardlaw House Marker
Front
Inscription.
Front:
This house, built ca. 1786, is thought to be the oldest house in Abbeville. It was built as a two-story log building by John Quay, who also ran a tavern here. He sold it ca. 1798 to James Wardlaw (1767-1842) and his wife, Quay's stepdaughter Hannah Clarke (1778-1825). James Wardlaw was the Abbeville postmaster and Abbeville District deputy clerk of court 1796-1800, then clerk of court 1800-1838. Ten of the Wardlaws' eleven children were born in this house.

Reverse:
Two sons were delegates to the Secession Convention: David L. Wardlaw (1799-1873), state representative and Speaker of the S.C. House, and later a judge; and Francis H. Wardlaw (1800-1861), newspaper editor, state chancellor, and state representative, from Edgefield. This house was later owned by Col. Thomas Thomson (1813-1881), state representative, delegate to the Secession Convention, Confederate officer, state senator, and judge.
 
Erected 2013 by Clan Wardlaw and the Abbeville County Historical Society. (Marker Number 01-17.)
 
Location. 34° 10.567′ N, 82° 22.783′ W. Marker is in Abbeville, South Carolina, in Abbeville County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and West Pickens Street
Quay-Wardlaw House Marker<br>Reverse image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, April 29, 2015
2. Quay-Wardlaw House Marker
Reverse
, on the right when traveling south on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abbeville SC 29620, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Bank Building (ca. 1865) (about 500 feet away); The Old Livery Stable (about 500 feet away); Humane Society Alliance Fountain (1912) (about 500 feet away); Abbeville County Confederate Monument (about 600 feet away); "Big Bob" (about 600 feet away); Abbeville Square (about 600 feet away); Abbeville Opera House (1908) (about 600 feet away); Belmont Inn (1903) (about 600 feet away); The Law Offices of John C. Calhoun (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbeville.
 
Also see . . .  Quay-Wardlaw House Facebook Page. (Submitted on August 7, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Quay-Wardlaw House Marker<br>Looking South on Church Street image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, April 29, 2015
3. Quay-Wardlaw House Marker
Looking South on Church Street
Quay-Wardlaw House image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, April 29, 2015
4. Quay-Wardlaw House
Quay-Wardlaw House image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, April 29, 2013
5. Quay-Wardlaw House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 286 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 7, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement