Prescott in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Forwarding Trade at Prescott
Before the completion of the canals between here and Montreal in 1847, Prescott was the eastern terminus of Great Lakes navigation. Established at the head of Galops Rapids in 1810, it soon became a centre for the forwarding, or shipping, trade and an important centre in Montreal's commercial system. One of the earliest forwarders at Prescott was Captain William Gilkison, who began operations on this property about 1811. As the population of Upper Canada increased rapidly after 1820, the trade expanded and forwarding firms, including Henderson & Hooker and Macpherson, Crane & Co., established shipbuilding yards, wharfs, and warehouses along this waterfront. Prescott's position in the forwarding trade began to decline in 1847 when uninterrupted navigation from Montreal to Lake Ontario became possible.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 44° 42.535′ N, 75° 30.85′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Water Street East 0.1 kilometers west of Centre Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located just west of the Forwarders' Museum and Visitor Information Centre. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Water Street East, Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. Major James Morrow Walsh (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Sir Richard William Scott (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Prescott Barracks and Hospital (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Prescott War Memorial (approx. half a kilometer away); Col. Edward Jessup (approx. half a kilometer away); Fort Wellington (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Bytown and Prescott Railway Company 1850 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Capture of Ogdensburg (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 183 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.