Gary in Lake County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Froebel opened here, 1912, as many European immigrants and southern blacks moved to Gary for jobs in steel mills. An experiment in progressive education, it served students of diverse backgrounds and the local community. Despite early status as integrated school, black students were excluded from many extracurricular activities and facilities into 1940s. Closed 1977.
After WWII, Froebel made national headlines when hundreds of white students walked out protesting "integration experiment" there. "Hate strikes" lasted several weeks in 1945 and reflected growing racial tension in North. In 1946, Gary school board adopted desegregation policy, but discrimination continued. Indiana state law desegregating public schools passed 1949.
Erected 2014 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Froebel Alumni Park Committee, and Northern Indiana Public Service Company. (Marker Number 45.2014.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 35.27′ N, 87° 20.572′ W. Marker is in Gary, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of West 15th Avenue and Madison Street, on the right Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gary IN 46407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stewart Settlement House (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John's Lutheran Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 5½ miles away); Hobart (Indiana) Patriotic Honor Rolls (approx. 6.3 miles away); Great Sauk (Sac) Trail (approx. 7.1 miles away); First Physician (approx. 7.3 miles away); Ogden Dunes Ski Jump (approx. 8.2 miles away); Willow Creek Confrontation (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gary.
Categories. • African Americans • Civil Rights • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.