Near Prescott in Leeds & Grenville counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Blue Church
On January 1, 1790, inhabitants of Augusta and Elizabethtown townships agreed to build a church here in the burying yard of the proposed town of "New Oswegatchie". Subscriptions were inadequate and nothing was built by 1804 when Barbara Heck, the founder of Methodism in Upper Canada, was buried here. In 1809 Anglicans of Augusta and Elizabethtown built a frame chapel, later called the "Blue Church", which served the parish until St. James, Maitland, was opened in 1826. The "Blue Church", unconsecrated, rarely used for services and in bad repair, was partially burned and taken down in 1840. The present small blue church was built in 1845.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario.
Location. 44° 40.789′ N, 75° 33.627′ W. Marker is near Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville counties. Marker is at the intersection of Provincial Highway 2 and Blue Church Road, on the right when traveling west on Provincial Highway 2. Touch for map. Blue Church and marker are located about 4km west of Prescott. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1512 Ontario Route 2, Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured Justus Sherwood (approx. 3.4 kilometers away); Homewood (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Capture of Ogdensburg (approx. 4.1 kilometers away); Grand Trunk Railway (approx. 4.5 kilometers away); The Forwarding Trade at Prescott (approx. 4.9 kilometers away); Fort la Présentation (approx. 5 kilometers away in the U.S.); Fort de la Présentation - 1749-1759 (approx. 5 kilometers away in the U.S.); Fort Lévis - 1760 (approx. 5 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.