Union Township Civil War Monument
Multiple Markers in a Rural Setting
—The Ohio Historical Marker —
The following notice appeared in the Marysville Tribune newspaper, February 5, 1873: To Arms! To Arms! The Monument Association of Union Township propose holding a Fair and Festival in Milford Centre on Feb 20 and 21...the proceeds to be applied to the fund already raised to erect a Monument in memory of the fallen heroes of Union Tp. Said Monument to be unveiled on the 30th of May, 1873. It is desired that every citizen have an opportunity to contribute something in aid of such a worthy object. It is therefore hoped that every person, male and female, will send in their donations of such articles as they may have to lay upon the alter of our departed Heroes. Bring Wheat, Corn, fancy work, mitts, Hoods, articles for children, anything, to the value of a horse.... “ On May 30, 2003—130 years later—the Monument Association of Union Township rededicated the refurbished monument.
According to the June 4, 1873 edition of the Marysville Tribune, 179 men from Union Township enlisted in the U.S. Army during the Civil War. The township also provided 38 "Hundred Days Men." Their enlistments were 100 days in duration and they were recruited for what was thought would be the last big push in the summer of 1864 that would topple the Confederacy and end
Erected 2010 by Union Township, Village of Milford Center, Monument Association of Union Township, Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10- 80.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 10.641′ N, 83° 25.784′ W. Marker is near Milford Center, Ohio, in Union County. Marker is on Middleburg-Plain City Rd (County Route 57), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. marker is in Milford Center Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 E State St, Milford Center OH 43045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Union Township Civil War Monument (here, Milford Center Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bridgeport / Bridgeport Iron Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Culbertson Covered Bridge / Reuben L. Partridge (1823- 1900) Bridge Builder (approx. 3 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #2 (approx. 3 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #3 (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mitchell Cemetery Stone #1 (approx. 3.1 miles away); St.John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church and School (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford Center.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 11, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.