Addis in West Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
St. Delphine Plantation
“The Big House”
Originally a 218.02 acre Spanish land grant to Valery Bergeron in the late 1700s, Warwick Flanigan built in 1860 a Greek Revival mansion for Isidore Daigle. In 1871 property sold to Auguste J. Levert, Sr. and Leon Bernard. Levert bought Bernardís interest in 1874 and remained the sole owner until his death in 1886 when his three sons became heirs. August J. Levert, Jr., bought his brothersí interest in 1888.
A tornado nearly destroyed the plantation home in 1906. The home was rebuilt in 1907 and later destroyed in 1932 due to the Mississippi River levee set back. A portion of the plantation remaining after the levee set back was sold by heirs of Auguste Levert, Jr. to James H. Laws and Co. as part of Cinclare Plantation on May 27, 1943.
The Levert family still owns 398 original plantation acres west of Louisiana Hwy 1.
Erected by August J. Levert, Jr., Family LLC.
Location. 30° 21.083′ N, 91° 14.985′ W. Marker is in Addis, Louisiana, in West Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is on South River Road (State Highway 988) 0.7 miles south of Addis Lane (State Highway 990), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8122 S River Rd, Addis LA 70710, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Town Of Addis (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Mary's A.M.E. Church (approx. one mile away); Addis Museum (approx. one mile away); Israelite Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Sardine Point (approx. 1.8 miles away); Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Historic Lukeville School (approx. 2.1 miles away); Herbert Osborn Dickerson (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Addis.
Also see . . . St. Delphine Plantation. West Baton Rouge Museum (Submitted on August 16, 2015.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2015. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.