Vancouver in Clark County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
The Red Cross Convalescent House
óOﬃcers Row ó
The construction of this building, a unique adaptation to standard plans, was completed in only four months due to the efforts of local trade unions and widespread community support.
The convalescent house at Vancouver Barracks was dedicated in February of 1919, and for a time continued its role in patient care. It was furnished with locally-made wicker furniture and the flags of World War I allies.
The last hostess for the convalescent house was E.B. Hamilton, after whom the main hall is now named. As the activities of the Red Cross diminished, the building was transferred to the Army and became a Non-Commissioned Officersí Club offering a variety of recreational activities, including movies, parties and dance.
Erected by Vancouver National Historic Reserve.
Location. 45° 37.58′ N, 122° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vancouver WA 98661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Artillery Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sutler's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Post Hospital (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. James Mission (about 400 feet away); The Infantry Barracks (about 500 feet away); Clark County Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); The O. O. Howard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Congressional Medal of Honor Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vancouver.
More about this marker. The background picture includes the caption, "The opening of the Red Cross Convalescent House, seen here in 1919, was a community event. The Columbian reported, “It is as true of this building as of the Red Cross itself, that it represents the truest and noblest sentiment and [soul] of America.” Courtesy of Clark County Historical Museum, #P220.127.116.11"
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Military • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,667 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of the Red Cross Convalescent House's interior. • Can you help?