Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Decatur
Wheeler's Cavalry made a gallant charge here and captured a battery of federal artillery with officers and men.
Erected 1922 by Agnes Lee Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 33° 46.525′ N, 84° 17.773′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker is on East Court Square 0.1 miles south of Ponce de Leon Avenue, on the right when traveling south. This marker is located on the square in Decatur by the Old Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur GA 30030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wheeler’s Cav. at Decatur (a few steps from this marker); DeKalb County (within shouting distance of this marker); Houston Mill Millstone (within shouting distance of this marker); Steatite Boulder The Stoneman Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beacon Community (approx. 0.3 miles away); July 22, 1864 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
More about this marker. Note that East Court Square is a parking circle, not a main thoroughfare.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Battle of Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,865 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.