Decatur in Dekalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Logan's 15th & Blair's 17th A.C. to Decatur
Both corps, Logan leading, marched S.&W. by rds. now designated Henderson Mill, LaVista, Montreal, and Lawrenceville.
These troops, together with Garrard's cavalry, formed the left wing of Sherman's (US) advance to Atlanta. On this date, the right wing (14th A.C.), was at Moore's Mill, Peachtree Creek, 10 miles south-west of this point.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-20.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 50.953′ N, 84° 15.452′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Georgia, in Dekalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Briarcliff Road and Henderson Mill Road, on the right when traveling south on Briarcliff Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to Decatur (within shouting distance of this marker); Site: Hendersonís Mill Dodge's & Blair's Columns Separate (approx. 1.4 miles away); Federal Left Wing to Decatur (approx. 1.6 miles away); Loganís Corps Moves to Hendersonís Mill (approx. 1.7 miles away); Site: Blakeís Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Garrard's & Lightburn's to Stone Mountain (approx. 2.3 miles away); Browning's Courthouse (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,065 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.