Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Banner in Sheridan County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Civilians:

Living Outside the Post

 
 
The Civilians: Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 24, 2015
1. The Civilians: Marker
Inscription.
Because the regulations would not allow non-military dependent civilians to reside inside Fort Phil Kearny, several civilian dwellings existed outside the post stockade on the valley plain below, and in the Quartermaster corral to the south. These homes varied in size and degree of construction. Some were built as notched cornered log cabins with shingled roofs, others were of pole construction with sod roofs, while others were mere dugouts in the northeast slope of the stockade line. Depressions from these dugouts are still visible today.

Civilians provided many services for the military and travelers of the Bozeman Trail. James Wheatley and Issac Fisher built a way-station and restaurant. Another eatery and the only known garden were managed by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Washington. Walter J. Harden and F.J. Fairbrast had a small “ranche” and billiard room. This building undoubtedly provided after-hours entertainment for the soldiers. One large group of about 40 gold-miners, under the leadership of Robert Bailey, arrived in the fall of 1866. They stayed through the winter working for both civilian contractors and carpenters or blacksmiths for the military.

Unfortunately, the civilians often got caught up in the military activities. Wheatley and Fisher volunteered to go with Captain Fettermanís command on December
The Civilians Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 24, 2015
2. The Civilians Marker
21, 1866 and lost their lives that day. Remarkably, Mrs. Wheatley continued to run the way-station until the fortís closure. John “Portugee” Phillips, part of the Bailey miners, rode for relief following the Fetterman fight and later settled in Southern Wyoming.
 
Location. 44° 31.924′ N, 106° 49.498′ W. Marker is in Banner, Wyoming, in Sheridan County. Marker can be reached from Wagon Box Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located inside Fort Phil Kearny. Marker is in this post office area: Banner WY 82832, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Guard House: (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Fort Phil Kearny (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cavalrymanís Quarters: (within shouting distance of this marker); The Post Headquarters: (within shouting distance of this marker); Laundress Row: (within shouting distance of this marker); Lesson Learned (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sutlerís Store: (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Banner.
 
More about this marker. An Artistís concept of the Civilian Quarters appears on the left side of the marker.
Marker in Fort Phil Kearny image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 24, 2015
3. Marker in Fort Phil Kearny
A portrait of John “Portugee” Phillips is on the right side of the marker.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Phil Kearny State Historic Site. (Submitted on August 25, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWars, US Indian
 
Monument to John “Portugee” Phillips image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 24, 2015
4. Monument to John “Portugee” Phillips
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement