Newbury in Orange County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Bayley-Hazen Military Road
1776 - 1779
— Began Just North at Wells River —
Conceived, planned, laid out & financed by Newbury founder, Gen. Jacob Bayley 1726–1815, who on Nov. 24, 1775, presented his plan to Gen. George Washington for a shorter military route to Canada. On Washington's orders, Bayley began road in spring of 1776. After 26 mi., it was halted until 1779 when Washington ordered Col. Moses Hazen & Col. Timothy Bedel to report to Bayley & continue his road about 26 mi. further northwest to Hazen's Notch now Westfield, VT. Thos. Johnson, Frye Bayley, Abial & Silas Chamberlain, John McLean & Native American, "Indian Joe", surveyed road for Gen. Bayley. Most are buried here at Ox Bow Cemetery near Gen. Bayley.
Erected 2012 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 5.307′ N, 72° 2.894′ W. Marker is in Newbury, Vermont, in Orange County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 5) 0.2 miles north of Oxbow Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located near the entrance to Oxbow cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newbury VT 05051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker Old Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Thomas Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Thomas Johnson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elmbank (approx. half a mile away); Jacob Bayley (approx. 0.8 miles away); General Jacob Bayley (approx. 0.9 miles away); Soldiers of Haverhill Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away in New Hampshire); Ebenezer MacKintosh (approx. 1.4 miles away in New Hampshire). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newbury.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Bayley Hazen Military Road. (Submitted on September 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Bayley-Hazen Military Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.