“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medora in Billings County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

Medora Cemetery

Medora Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2015
1. Medora Cemetery Marker
The Medora Cemetery consists of 1.93 acres located on a grassy plateau on the west bank of the Little Missouri River overlooking Medora. The Medora Cemetery Association was formed on October 15, 1919, by six pioneers of this area: Geo. R. Osterhout, Oren Kendley, Frank Shaw, Jim O. Gray, John F. Tester and Paul W. Lebo.

November 27, 1919, Medora de Vallombrosa, wife of the Marquis de Mores, transferred the deed to the land to the Medora Cemetery Association.

The first recorded burial in the cemetery area was that of William S. Livingston, who was shot and killed at Little Missouri on July 17, 1881. The locations of a number of graves from early days are unknown and unmarked.

“Those remembered in our cemeteries are our heritage, a testament to the fragileness of life yet a beacon of hope for those who were granted the gift of life to help make a better Billings County – and world.”
    (Echoing Trails II)

Some of the gravestones are based on local folklore. Several existing monuments either do not mark graves or are misidentified.

The marker inscribed E. Gary Paddock, U.S. Marshall, 1845-1907 clearly refers to Elbridge Gerry Paddock, a colorful early day resident who served for a time as a Deputy U.S. Marshal. Paddock was in the Little Missouri Valley by 1880. He left North Dakota
Medora Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2015
2. Medora Cemetery Marker
in 1907 for California. He is buried in the Mission Hill Memorial Park Cemetery, Santa Clara, California.

The marker inscribed “Frency deNoyer, Medora’s first resident, 1829” refers to longtime resident Francoise/Frank de Noyer, known as Frency. De Noyer enlisted in the Eighth Minnesota Infantry and marched through the Little Missouri Badlands with the expedition of General Alfred Sully in 1864.

The marker inscribed “U.S. Army Soldier From Contonement, Fell From R.R. Bridge” remains a mystery. The official records of the Badlands Cantonement state that no soldier died there during the life of the post, 1879-1883, nor has any record been found of a soldier dying while on campaign in the area.

The marker inscribed “Man the Bank Fell On” may refer to Joseph Doulisch, who was injured when an earthen foundation fell on him at Medora on March 19, 1881. Doulisch died of his injuries on April 3.

Conversely, no monument exists today for a man named John Margranahan, who was dismembered and killed when he fell from a train a Medora on the night of April 26-27, 1884.
(Marker Number 16.)
Location. 46° 55.057′ N, 103° 31.999′ W. Marker is in Medora, North Dakota, in Billings County. Marker is on Pacific Avenue, on the right when traveling
Medora Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 11, 2015
3. Medora Cemetery Marker
Several markers can be found at this location. The Medora Cemetery marker is the rightmost of those seen in the photo.
west. Touch for map. The marker is located just west of the Little Missouri River. Marker is in this post office area: Medora ND 58645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bad Lands Cantonment (here, next to this marker); Little Missouri: The Town (here, next to this marker); Frontier Military (here, next to this marker); Little Missouri Bridge (here, next to this marker); Chateau de Mores (within shouting distance of this marker); De Mores Packing Plant (approx. ¼ mile away); Dreams of a Cattle Empire (approx. ¼ mile away); Loading Dock (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medora.
More about this marker. Photographs of Medora Cemetery and several markers located there are seen on the marker.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement