Fairhaven in Bristol County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The shape and dimensions of the parapet are irregular, following the contours of the promontory, or high rock outcrop overlooking the harbor, on which it is built. The exterior walls of the parapet are constructed of bricks with a cement covering. The walls are topped with a single row of tapered granite slabs. The interior walls are constructed of smooth granite blocks. The space between the walls are filled with soil borrow material.
The five large cannons are 24-pound guns, made of cast iron and dated 1828, and were mounted here in about 1861. The small naval cannon is the only gun dating to the Revolutionary War. It was brought here in 1777 from a supply of weapons captured from the British in the Bahamas. The cannons are ceremonially fired during the Town's annual Independence Day celebrations.
In 1926, Fort Phoenix was acquired from the United States Government by the Town of Fairhaven through the generosity of Cara Broughton, daughter of Henry Huttleston Rogers. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. The Town of Fairhaven Board of Public Works
Location. 41° 37.456′ N, 70° 54.131′ W. Marker is in Fairhaven, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Fort Street west of Beacon Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located near the water front, on a small rock outcropping, in the middle of the fort's gun emplacements, a short distance from the harbor walkway that goes out on the harbor hurricane break, in the Fort Phoenix State Reservation Park. Marker is in this post office area: Fairhaven MA 02719, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Phoenix (here, next to this marker); Revolutionary War Cannon (here, next to this marker); Major Israel Fearing (a few steps from this marker); Donald R. Bernard (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Phoenix (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Phoenix (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bradford (approx. 0.6 miles away); Merrill's Wharf (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairhaven.
Categories. • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 3, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.