Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Memphis Queen II
Built in 1955 by the Dubuque Boat & Boiler Company, the Memphis Queen II was the first all-steel passenger ship on the Mississippi River. Measuring 85 feet long by 43 feet wide, it features two decks, two smokestacks, and a stern wheel reminiscent of a 19th century riverboat. Local residents and tourists boarded this vessel from its mooring on the cobblestoned Memphis waterfront for excursions on "Ol' Man River." On July 5, 2006, the Memphis Queen II was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 164.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 8.695′ N, 90° 3.361′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Riverside Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Hospital (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cotton Exchange Building (about 700 feet away); John Grisham (about 700 feet away); Cobblestone Landing Confederate History of Memphis (about 800 feet away); The Sultana Disaster (about 800 feet away); First "Talkies" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Naval Battle of Memphis, 1862 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.