Fort Holes was one of many such stockades. Named for Samuel Holes, a captain of militia whose advice had been followed in its construction and who helped build it, the Fort overlooked the river, the flats to the south and the river landing at the foot of what is now Tenth Street.
Jane Grey Swisshelm described the Fort. “The outer wall is a framework put together and planked up and down the outside from ten to twelve feet and shelving outward so that it cannot be scaled with a ladder. The wall is three feet thick at the base and one and one-half at the height of six or seven feet and filled with soil….There are two entrances at which are hung heavy gates…”
Fort Holes never was used by St. Cloud residents because the danger of attack faded. It did house refugees from the countryside. By 1864, the Fort was rapidly disappearing as new settlers carried off the lumber. By 1875 it had vanished.
Location. 45° 33.073′ N, 94° 9.121′ W. Marker is in Saint Cloud, Minnesota, in Stearns County. Marker can be reached from 9th Street South. Touch for map. On the Saint Cloud State University campus. Near the northwest corner of the Engineering and Computer Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 9th St. South, Saint Cloud MN 56301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Petters Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); B.P.O.E. Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); D.B. Searle Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); McClure & Searle [Building] (approx. 0.7 miles away); United States Post Office (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Mary's Building (approx. ¾ mile away); Breen Hotel (approx. ¾ mile away); Sherman Theatre (approx. ¾ mile away).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2015, by Todd Holes of Glen Ellyn, Illinois. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 69 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 9, 2015, by Todd Holes of Glen Ellyn, Illinois. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.