Near Avalon in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The C.C.C. Builds Our Park
The Civilian Conservation Corps Legacy
The Civilian Conservation Corps transformed Patapsco State Forest Reserve's informal recreation ground into the extensive Patapsco Valley State Park, which our legacy today. Some picnic shelters, roads, and trails are visible reminders of the work done by the young men of the CCC.
Organized during Great Depression, the CCC - sometime's called "Roosevelt's Tree Army" - was a New Deal program created to provide employment for young men in conservation work across the county. CCC men received $30 a month ($25 of which was sent home to support their families) and benefited from nutritional, educational, and recreational programs.
This field once served as the CCC's Patapsco Camp Tydings, #356. From June, 1933 to April, 1938, an average of 200 men per year worked on reforestation, fire prevention, picnic areas, campground facilities, trail development, and road construction.
Similar park projects
Only a few concrete steps, sidewalks and a stone fireplace mark the site of the camp.
Text with middle left photo: The Patapsco Camp hosted Baltimore Orioles start Lyle "Punch" Judy and Milt Gary, depicted here in 1937. Note the stone fireplace of the recreation hall now incorporated in a picnic shelter and the Oriole on the camp's emblem over the mantel.
Text with main photo: Camp Tydings included five barracks, a recreation hall, a mess hall, the headquarters building and a dispensary.
Text with lower middle photo: Patapsco Camp Tydings #356 was built by the U.S. Army in Baltimore County, after flooding destroyed an earlier camp on the Howard County side.
Text with lower right photos: CCC men building rustic shelters, the architecture recommended by the National Park Service who supervised the work.
Erected by Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 39° Touch for map. Marker is within the Patapsco Valley State Park - Avalon area, on the northern side of the Patapsco River. Marker is about 400 feet west of the Avalon Visitor Center parking lot, along the park roadway towards the Glen Artney area of the park. Entrance to PVSP is about 300 feet north of the US 1 - South Street intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Halethorpe MD 21227, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Place For Progress (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Iron Builds America (about 400 feet away); Elkridge Landing (about 400 feet away); Powering the Patapso Valley's Industries (about 400 feet away); Forging Freedom and Nails (about 700 feet away); Drinking Water for the Public (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Baltimore County Water and Electric Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Thomas Viaduct (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Avalon.
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,071 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.